Chips happen and they can be easily repaired at a minimal cost and with a decent profit margin that can add to your bottom line.
We have all experienced it. You’re driving down the road and all of a sudden a rock hits the windshield creating a chip in the glass. What most people don’t know is that the majority of these fractures can be repaired, if caught in time, keeping repair costs to a minimum and keeping glass out of our landfills. In addition, many insurance companies waive comprehensive deductible charges when the customer decides to repair the windshield instead of replacing it. Both parties win by spending less money on a repair.
Windshield repair is a permanent solution to an age-old problem. Chips happen and they can be easily repaired at a minimal cost and with a decent profit margin that can add to your bottom line. And in today’s tough economic environment, windshield repair is being recognized by many different industries, such as detailers, carwashes, lube shops, and auto dealerships as a way to positively impact their businesses with an additional service offering. Windshield repair is a great first choice over replacement for a variety of reasons.
- Saves money: Repair is a fraction of the cost of replacement.
- Saves time: Repair is fast, usually 15-20 minutes, whereas replacement can take hours.
- Saves glass: Repair keeps the damage from spreading and provides a great looking result.Windshield repair saves time, money and the environment.
- Saves the environment: Most people don’t know that laminated windshield glass is not recycled. When they choose repair first, it keeps their glass out of the landfill.
- Retains the original factory bond: Repair brings the windshield back to factory specifications and retains the original factory bond (if it has not been previously replaced), which means safety will not be compromised for drivers and their passengers. An improperly replaced windshield may create a safety risk whereby air bags could blow out a windshield and therefore not provide the intended safety.
A successful windshield repair will arrest the cracking of the glass. With the average replacement cost hovering around $350, your customer is usually happy to live with a barely noticeable repair, while paying a small fraction of replacement cost. And they may not pay anything out of pocket when utilizing their insurance coverage.
Windshield repair is not only a cost effective option for your customers, but also the environmentally sound option. By decreasing the amount of glass that goes into landfills, and reducing the need for new glass manufacturing and transportation we can all make a positive environmental impact.
Did you know:
- In the United States, 15 million windshields – the equivalent of about 600 million pounds of material – are replaced each year with most winding up in landfills. – The Boston Globe, 2010Glass takes more than one million years to decompose in our landfills, making windshield repair the best option whenever possible.
- The amount of energy needed to produce one windshield is equal to 10,000 repairs. – Sadechaf Technology, 2007
- By recycling vehicle windshields, the amount of automotive waste in landfills could be reduced by 3 percent; however, due to plastic laminates, windshields are one of the most difficult auto parts to recycle. – Earth911.com, 2011
- Glass takes more than 1 million years to decompose in our landfills. – California Department of Conservation
- Windshield glass is difficult to recycle because much of the glass is 2-ply laminated and contains a PVB layer that must be separated. Integrated heating elements or radio antenna are often embedded within the windshields and cannot be returned to the glass furnace for reworking. – British Glass, Glass Manufacture: A Mass Balance Study, 2005
- The transportation of glass, which is a relatively heavy product, throughout the supply chain results in high levels of transport-related CO2 emissions. – Advances in Glasses and Glass-Ceramics, Frost & Sullivan, 2006
- Glass manufacturing is a high-temperature, energy-intensive activity, resulting in the emission of combustion by-products (sulfur dioxide, carbon dioxide, and nitrogen oxides) and the high-temperature oxidation of atmospheric nitrogen. – Environmental, Health, and Safety Guidelines for Glass Manufacturing, World Bank Group, 2007
- It takes 15.2 million BTUs of energy to produce one ton of glass. The manufacturing of one ton of glass can generate as much as 385 pounds of mining waste and 28 pounds of air pollutants. Like the production of other materials, glass manufacturing and usage has negative impacts on the environment. – The Rhode Island Resource Recovery Corporation
The more that we all participate in reducing the use of raw materials and the energy needed to produce glass, the better off our environment will be, making glass repair the best option.
Windshield repair has been around for more than three decades and continues to grow and develop into a viable and profitable service. If you do your research, choose the right equipment and participate in comprehensive training, windshield repair can become a lasting addition to your revenue stream and your profits.